Two Sylvias Press Chapbook Prize 2016
Judge: January Gill O'Neil
TWO SYLVIAS PRESS CHAPBOOK PRIZE 2016
Winner receives $400
Chapbook published as print book and eBook
20 Author Copies
An amethyst depression glass trophy (circa 1930).
2015 Winner: Jasmine An
for NAMING THE NO-NAME WOMAN
chosen by Keetje Kuipers
2014 winner: Cecilia Woloch for EARTH
chosen by Aimee Nezhukumatathil
Click here to see past winner and finalists
January Gill O’Neil is the author of Misery Islands and Underlife, both published by CavanKerry Press. Misery Islands was selected for a 2015 Paterson Award for Literary Excellence. It has also been selected by Mass Center for the Book as a Must-Read Book for 2015, and won the 2015 Massachusetts Book Award. Her poems have appeared in Harvard Review, Green Mountains Review, American Poetry Review, New England Review, Paterson Literary Review, Rattle, Ploughshares, Sou’Wester, and The Writer’s Almanac with Garrison Keillor. January is the executive director of the Massachusetts Poetry Festival, an assistant professor of English at Salem State University, and Northeast Regional Chair and a board of trustees member for the Association of Writers and Writing Programs (AWP).
Learn more about January at her blog here.
Two Sylvias Press 2016 Chapbook Prize GUIDELINES
Please read carefully and follow the guidelines as listed below:
- Electronic submissions only (by way of firstname.lastname@example.org - you will receive a confirmation email within 24 hours. If you do not receive the confirmation, please resubmit. Don't forget to check your SPAM folder).
- Simultaneous submissions accepted. Please notify Two Sylvias Press immediately if your manuscript is accepted elsewhere.
- Individual poems may be previously published.
- 17-24 pages of poetry (not including title page, table of contents, end notes).
- You may submit more than one manuscript for consideration. Submit additional manuscript(s) in a separate email(s) and include submission fee(s).
- In the body of email, include short bio, manuscript title, page length, author's name, address, telephone, email, and acknowledgements of previous published poems, if any.
- Attach your manuscript as an MS Word doc and email to: email@example.com
- Your name should not appear anywhere in or on the manuscript.
- Email subject line should include your last name, chapbook title, and the year, 2016.
- Reading Fee: $15.00 OR $25.00 (which will include a copy of the prize-winning book mailed to you).
- Payment method: Paypal (PayPal buttons below) or check payable to Two Sylvias Press (Two Sylvias Press, PO Box 1524, Kingston, WA 98346). Please include chapbook title on check.
- Entry Dates: February 15, 2016 – June 15, 2016 (Midnight Hawaiian Island time).
- Winner receives $400, 20 author copies of print chapbook, and a 1930's depression glass trophy,
- The winning chapbook will be published in both print format and eBook.
- Chapbooks published by Two Sylvias Press are perfect-bound with a high-quality matte finish (6 x 9). Please click here to see the winning chapbooks from 2015 (Jasmine An) and 2014 (Cecilia Woloch) as well as a list of finalists.
- Winner will be announced by September, 2016.
- All chapbook entries will be considered for publication.
- Before submitting your manuscript, take a moment to look at our publications and to read about our press. Please be sure that we are a fit for your chapbook before you submit. You can view our publications here.
- Also note, we do not disqualify manuscripts for errors or mistakes. We err on the side of the poet and if we have any questions about your manuscript (i.e. the formatting comes through incorrectly) or if you're missing something we need, we'll contact you.
To pay reading fee by PayPal:
READING FEE ($15):
READING FEE plus copy of winning chapbook mailed to you ($25)
Thank you for your support of Two Sylvias Press!